Construction of the glass factory below Velká Javořina Mountain, within the cadastral area of the community of Strání within the domain of Lichtenstein, began in 1794. An area in the middle of a beech forest, not far from Uherský Ostroh, with deposits of high-quality glass sand, and near an old road to Hungary which used to be an important trade route in those days was chosen with great care. Prince Alois of Lichtenstein called in architect Karel Rudzimský as well as chemist and glass worker Franz von Weisbach, who became the first manager of the glass factory, to cooperate on the construction of the glass factory whose budget was 9,908 guilders.
The glass factory, equipped with two melting furnaces, began operating in the middle of 1795. Both local people and particularly glass workers from the surrounding area and other areas within the domain of Lichtenstein in Slovakia or Austria found employment there. The combining of all these production traditions soon created a typical manufacturing pattern of the new glass factory, which quickly gained prestige.
From plain greenish glass, the factory produced various types of utility and table glassware as well as dining glass, lamps, lamp-chimneys and even window glass, made of hand-blown cylinders.
From the middle of the 19th century, the glass factory started producing better sorts of glass. At that time, the factory was bought by Emanuel Zahn for the family firm Josef Zahn & Co. In 1780, the Zahns, originally form the Netherlands, set up a glass-shop in the Bohemian village of Chřibská that was later moved to Vienna. Before it was confiscated and nationalized in 1945, the factory had been owned by this company.
The new owner built an additional glass melting furnace fired directly with beech wood and started producing fine crystal glass (with lime additive), decorated with grinding, edging and cutting. He recruited glassmakers from the glass factories in the Bohemian Forest as well as from other parts of Austria-Hungary, most of whom travelled across half of Europe and, thanks to their experience, contributed to introducing new techniques and production methods. More attention began to be paid to raw materials, particularly to glass quartz. Raw materials for melting were treated and prepared directly in the glass factory (potash, quartz).
Under the new proprietor, the commercial focus of the glass factory became Vienna, which was the location of the parent company´s wholesale business and storehouses that served some of the bigger customers. Emanuel Zahn went a long way towards the expansion of the factory, improving the quality of production and expanding the assortment of table glassware – he introduced not only more sophisticated design demanded by his important and socially interesting customers but also many art impulses from the environment of Vienna.
Under his leadership, the production of ground glass painted table services began, which later also included etching in combination with gold. Last but not least, under his management the old traditions of today´s famous "květenská kalíškovina" (special stemless cups made in Květná factory) were developed.
Emanuel Zahn´s son, also Emanuel, used the dowry of his wife Amálie who descended from the glass-industry family Göpfert, to build up the glass factory into a going concern. He rebuilt the direct firing of furnaces by beech wood employed at that time to use producer gas generated from wood. He also built a new grindery where the water drive was replaced by a steam drive. In 1894, perhaps out of gratitude to his wife and her dowry, he changed the glass factory name to Zahn and Göpfert bearing the trade mark Z & G and, instead of Straňanská glass factory, started using the local name Květná (Blumenbach). This trade mark soon gained a countermark of quality and became very popular on the international markets.
Zahn & Göpfert set up showrooms and storehouses in London, Paris, Berlin and Hamburg and participated in the trade fair in Leipzig. At the turn of the 20th century, the second glass melting furnace using producer gas was built and etched glass decorated with the techniques "panto", "giloš" and die stamping was added to the glassware assortment.
Květná glass factory was the second in Europe to introduce etched glass production as early as 1897. English pantographs and Kutzscher "giloš" machines were used for cutting various decorations. Pantographs were advanced and powerful 24-position machines that made the manufacturing of decorated stemless glasses more effective. "Panto" and "giloš" became widely developed techniques of the glass factory and in subsequent years the company had some of the etched peripheral "giloš" decorations patented as registered designs. These came in combination with flame-cut decorations on the mouth rim of products, using precious metals. Table services of that period, richly decorated with many plain and ground stems, soon won considerable popularity in the world, especially on account of the transparency and quality of the crystal molten glass and the first-rate manual work. At that time, decorated table services were exported to the United States, Africa, Germany and Switzerland.
In 1949, construction of a new brown coal generator station was launched and one year later, it was put into operation. Its own manufacture of glass melting pots was closed down at Květná in 1952.
Towards the end of 1959, glass production in the new glass factory hall began, using advanced technology for tempering.
Building of the gas connection began in 1961 and was finished two years later.
Between 1967 and 1969 , a building for new heat treatments was constructed and it started producing in September 1969. At the same time, a new storage system was introduced, and, after 175 years, the transportation of glass in wooden crates ceased to be employed.
In 1971, the company put its first glass press for pressing cup stems into operation. In the grindery, a French semi-automat for cracking-off and the abrasion of cup and tumbler rims was installed.
From 1975 on, the glass factory expanded its production schedule to include stemless glasses using the "diaryt" cutting technique.
Starting from 1976, the glassworks began producing purple "zlatá roza" glass containing gold preparation additive.
At the beginning of 1981, in the etch room, the first wax cuttings (i.e. third-generation pantographs with the program control of cutting decorations into waxed products) were put into operation.
Between 1984 and 1985, a new hall was built, making it possible to produce smaller ranges of cartons for packing glassware directly in the factory. New entrance premises of the factory were built in 1991.