The Květná glass factory is one of the longest running glassworks in our territory. It was constructed in 1794 when it was established by the prince Alois Lichtenstein. The location for the construction was selected very carefully, in the middle of beech wood not far from Uherský Ostroh in the cadastre of the Strání municipality, which is the deposit of high-quality glass sand.
The glassworks equipped with two smelting furnaces offered jobs to people in the close vicinity as well as from other locations in the Lichtenstein domains in Slovakia or Austria. At first, the glass factory focused on the manufacture of plate glass and various domestic glass tableware. Production of higher-quality and more exclusive types of glass started in the glassworks only in the second half of the 19th century, when the plant was acquired by the Austrian entrepreneur Emanuel Zahn. The new owner built another glass furnace and introduced the manufacture of fine crystal glass decorated with cutting and engraving.
It was Emanuel Zahn who attracted experienced glass makers who brought new techniques and methods of production to the glassworks. This resulted not only in a rapid product quality improvement, but also in a much broader product range and, in particular, an upgrade following the artistic impulses arising from the Vienna artistic circles. In that connection, the name of the glass factory also changed in 1894 when the local name Květná (Blumenbach) started to be used. This name has soon become a hallmark of quality and highly sought-after in the world markets. The company Zahn & Göpfert established display rooms and a disposition warehouses in London, Paris, Berlin and Hamburg and displayed its products during world trade fairs in Leipzig. As the second glass factory in Europe, Květná introduced glass decoration by etching in 1897 already. In that era, glass tableware with various decorations was exported to the U.S., Africa, Australia, Egypt, Scandinavia, Austria, Germany and Switzerland.
The glass factory continued its production throughout the first half of the 20th century as well. It maintained its operations also after having been nationalized and, between 1961 and 1990, the glass factory formed part of the national enterprise Moravské sklárny (Moravian Glassworks) in Květná. Several equity and ownership changes took place after 1989, with the years 2011–2018 as important milestones. During that time, the Květná glass factory was part of the Crystalite Bohemia glass group, which was established by the entrepreneur Lubor Cerva in 2009. After the two plants were split because of the Group being sold, a new company Cerva Bohemia was established and is the current owner and operator of the Květná glass factory. Again, the entrepreneur Lubor Cerva holds a majority share in the company.